EAST BRIDGEWATER — Fire Chief Timothy Harhen reports that the East Bridgewater Fire Department extinguished a fire inside a detached garage Monday afternoon.
At approximately 4:30 p.m., East Bridgewater firefighters responded to 349 North Bedford Street for a report of a detached garage that was on fire. The Whitman Fire Department also responded to the scene to provide mutual aid.
Upon arrival, firefighters came upon the building that was fully involved with heavy flames and smoke.
Firefighters had to extend a hose line across Route 18 in order to access the nearest hydrant. East Bridgewater Police closed the road while the fire was being put out.
Firefighters aggressively attacked the flames and were able to fully extinguish the fire.
The building was a total loss and a nearby home sustained minor heat damage.
The fire was caused by sparks from welding after a man was working on a car. The welder briefly left the garage and another person noticed smoke coming from the building a short time later and the fire department was called.
No injuries were reported in the incident.
Chief Harhen would like to thank the East Bridgewater Police and Whitman Fire Department for their assistance on the call.